Saturday, August 21, 2010

A bike lane video game on N. Williams

Sent to you by Rio via Google Reader: A bike lane video game on N.
Williams via BikePortland.org » Front Page by Jonathan Maus
(Publisher/Editor) on 8/18/10
Someone has stenciled several video game symbols in the N. Williams
bike lane.
- See the rest of them below -
(Photos © J. Maus)
A cherished local tradition of adding character and personality to our
bike lanes has taken a new twist. Someone has painted symbols from
Nintendo's Mario Kart video game in the bike lanes on N. Williams Ave.

The painted symbols begin south of N Tillamook Avenue with a set of
speed-boosting arrows (see above) and the symbols continue to about N.
Cook Ave. There are several bananas...

A mushroom (which a reader tells me is worth an extra life in the game
allows you to store a speed boost)...

And a star (which gives you invincibility)...

While this sort of vandalism is obviously illegal, I don't think anyone
is looking to crack down on it. Reader Steve R. wrote us to share this
sentiment about the symbols:

"I'm sure this is very illegal. As I pedal home from work, though, I
find it engaging and humorous. Would motorists similarly decorate their
lanes? I suspect not - this good-natured vandalism is a sign that
bikers take pride in their bike lanes and the biking community we've
created. Well, that is my impression anyway."

Have you seen the symbols? What's your impression? I find them to be
great conversation starters with my fellow Williams commuters.



Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to BikePortland.org » Front Page using Google Reader
- Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
favorite sites

No comments:

Post a Comment